Improve teacher training
Good schools and good teachers are central to Germany as an educational and business location: The skills that the next generation acquires are crucial for the innovative strength of our economy. German employers are therefore involved in a wide range of initiatives.
Teachers have an important, responsible and challenging task. For this, they need high-quality training and further education that optimally equips them with the appropriate professional, pedagogical and didactic competences. However, prospective teachers often find that they are not really prepared for the actual demands of everyday school life. Theoretical and practical training content must be better interlinked.
The teaching profession must get out of its niche existence at the university!
Universities must take teacher training more seriously and value and support student teachers as a target group with its own profile. In view of the glaring shortage of teachers, there is an urgent need for more flexibility and opportunities for "late-comers" to transfer - both when changing from a subject to a teaching degree course and in the case of the precise qualification of lateral and lateral entrants with professional experience. The initial phase of a career at school also needs systematic support and supervision.
Nine demands of employers for better teacher education
- Avoid teacher shortage
- Improve framework conditions
- Improve learning outcomes
- Making digital learning possible
- Combining theory and practice
- Increasing flexibility and permeability between subject and teacher training courses
- Accompanying lateral and lateral entry of professional practitioners
- Valuing teacher education
- Designing in-service training as part of school development